Tending to your yard can take up a lot of valuable time if you lack the right gear. That is why it is important and beneficial to have the right lawn sprinkler. The right type of sprinkler will have your lawn looking vibrant and healthy while saving you from worrying whether or not your grass, flower-bed, etc. has enough water.
In the following article, you will learn more about 9 of some of the best lawn sprinklers to determine if any of them are right for you.
Reviews of the Best Lawn Sprinkler 2018
In the next few sections, you will discover the top 9 lawn sprinklers, their features, and more.
|Model||Water Jet Radius|
|Orbit 58322 Traveling Sprinkler
|27 feet||Check Price|
|Gilmour Heavy Duty Circle Pattern Twin Spot Sprinkler
|15 feet||Check Price|
|Gilmour Heavy-Duty Adjustable Circular Sprinkler
||43 feet||Check Price|
|Melnor XT Metal Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler
||80 feet||Check Price|
|Orbit 58257N Metal 3-Arm Sprinkler
||12 feet||Check Price|
|Rain Bird 25PJLSP Hose-End Brass Impact Sprinkler
||41 feet||Check Price|
|Orbit 56667N Zinc Impact Sprinkler on Tripod Base
||80 feet||Check Price|
|Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion
|40 feet||Check Price|
|LED Color Changing Lawn Sprinkler
||16 feet||Check Price|
1. Orbit Traveling Sprinkler – Best Traveling Sprinkler
This self-propelled sprinkler has a 3-position speed control. Along 200ft of hose, it can cover up to 13,500sqft. The wheels are spiked and the gears have a durable construction. With its body made from cast iron helping to properly weigh it down, the Orbit Traveling Sprinkler is seen as one of the best traveling sprinklers on the market today.
It can be useful for a variety of lawn types. There is the rotary spray for even coverage, and it's adjustable from 15-50ft. For better control, there's an automatic shut-off feature in the form of a ramp stop. You can position the ramp stop anywhere along the hose length, and the sprinkler will stop when the shut-off plunger makes contact with the ramp.
Although the Orbit Traveling Sprinkler is generally seen as high-quality, it doesn't move as fast as it should. However, it seems to work faster with higher pressure. It also can become stuck on minor obstructions, or move off the hose length and go on its own.
- Automatic shut-off;
- Rust-proof cast-iron construction.
- Can veer off hose path;
- Might not go as fast as intended.
2. Gilmour Heavy Duty Circle Twin Spot Sprinkler – Best Economical Sprinkler
The Gilmour Heavy Duty Sprinkler may work best with smaller lawns as it can give an estimated 700sqft of coverage. It also has a 30ft diameter circular spray pattern. The twin sprayers provide water in a simple, mist-like fashion.
Even though this is a stationary sprinkler, it is highly light in weight which can make it difficult to keep it still; too much pressure can topple it. It can be beneficial to weigh it down with another item. Without an actual base to it, placing it in certain areas can be a task as well.
Nevertheless, the Gilmour Sprinkler is a good basic option for spot watering. It's also made from heavy-duty die-cast zinc to hold up over time. If anything does happen, it comes with a 3-year warranty. All of this is available in a low price range as well, making this the best economical sprinkler option.
- Durable construction.
- Too light in weight;
- Difficult to place.
3. Gilmour Heavy Duty Adjustable Circular Sprinkler – Best Pulsating Sprinkler
If you are looking for something you can change to suit your needs at the time, then the Gilmour Heavy Duty Sprinkler is the best adaptable sprinkler for you. It allows for easy customization. The adjustable collar allows you to control the sprinkler head rotation in either a full or partial circle. You can also control the water stream and the distance.
To help maintain stability regardless of the controls you select, this sprinkler is made from all-metal. It also has a wide base to further help keep it in place. When you do adjust it, it's user-friendly thanks to the easy-turn dial.
The Gilmour Heavy Duty Sprinkler lives up to its name as it is heavy in weight, but not uncomfortably so. It is overall easy to install and use, and it should last a good deal of time. Certain weather conditions can affect its quality though. Also, the sprinkler isn't designed for smaller lawns, however, as it doesn't cover it well.
- Various adjustable features;
- Easy-to-use controls.
- Doesn't cover small lawns well;
- Not entirely weather resistant .
4. Melnor XT Metal Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler – Best Large Coverage Sprinkler
For those looking for wide coverage, then the Melnor XT Oscillating Sprinkler is it. You are granted some control by being able to adjust the length from 10-80ft. The width can be changed from 10-54ft with different left and right side controls. Even the watering pattern can be adjusted.
With its rectangular shape, this sprinkler can reach up to 4,200sqft when using a water pressure of about 60PSI. It claims to be able to stretch the length of a basketball court. Even if your yard isn't that large, you can easily change the controls to suit your specific area.
Although this is one of the best large coverage sprinklers, the build quality doesn't always hold up. For instance, the spray nozzles have the potential to break due to them being made from soft, rubber-like material. Also, the base is designed to stabilize everything, but the weight doesn't appear to be heavy enough.
- Large coverage area;
- Good adjustable features.
- Could stabilize better;
- Some parts tend to break.
5. Orbit Metal 3-Arm Sprinkler – Best Spinning Sprinkler
With the Orbit 3-Arm Sprinkler, you are getting one of the best spinning sprinklers. The twirling action helps to ensure that you are getting full-circle coverage. It is more ideal for medium-length lawns, however, and it's generally adjustable up to 24ft in diameter.
The sprinkler appears to perform better or worse depending on the temperature. It doesn't cover as well if the area is too hot. Also, the durability can be called into question as one or more of the arms may break after some time.
Even so, the Orbit 3-Arm Sprinkler can perform well regardless of water pressure. Both low and high pressure can still make the arms spin as designed so you can get the coverage you need. Also, it has a pretty simple setup and it's overall easy to use.
- Full-circle coverage;
- Performs well with low and high water pressure.
- Low durability;
- Not good in all temperatures.
6. Rain Bird Hose-End Brass Impact Sprinkler – Best Heavy Duty Sprinkler
With the Rain Bird Impact Sprinkler, you can easily insert in various areas around your lawn. It features a robust 8" step so you can place it in even the hardest of soil. The sprinkler is straightforward to install as well as it easily threads with most hoses with a 3/4" female hose thread.
What makes this sprinkler stand out though is the material used to make it. It is made of heavy-duty bronze and stainless steel. The design is intended so the sprinkler can be used season after season, making this the best heavy-duty sprinkler. The die-cast is water-saving, while the bronze spray arm better controls the stream to prevent unwanted splashing.
Though the construction is well-done, there is a chance that the sprinkler can get stuck in a single position. Also, it's easy to install, but it doesn't appear as easy to adjust. For optimal results, it can take a good deal of water pressure.
- Heavy-duty, long-lasting construction;
- Easy to place in any soil.
- Difficult to adjust;
- Sprinkler can stick.
7. Orbit Zinc Impact Sprinkler on Tripod Base – Best Sprinkler for Large Lawn
Made on a base that can be adjusted from 16"-37.5" in height, the Orbit Impact Sprinkler may be the best tripod sprinkler out right now. It can cover a distance of up to 80ft, making it more useful in larger lawns. The sprinkler can also be used in a full or partial circle.
This sprinkler isn't without its issues, however. It can become lodged in one place, or it can even begin to reverse its position when it's not supposed to. The sprinkler doesn't appear to have the longest of life spans either as the materials aren't as high in quality as others like it.
In spite of all that, the Orbit Impact Sprinkler is functional. Adjusting everything is easy to do, and it covers a good area without having to be moved around. The tripod base makes it simpler for you to get to those hard-to-reach places in your yard as well.
- Quality tripod base;
- Good partial/full circle area coverage.
- Some low-quality material;
- Sprinkler may become stuck/reverse on its own.
8. Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler – Best Motion Sensor Sprinkler
Available with both day and night detection, the Orbit Yard Enforcer is the best motion sensor sprinkler. It utilizes intelligent sensing technology for not only its motion sensing capabilities, but also to conserve battery life and water use.
There are many things you can do with this sprinkler. It features three detection modes: day, night, and 24/7. It has a detection of up to 40ft away and a viewing angle of 120º. You can further control the angle to position it higher or lower. It is intelligent enough to differentiate between animals, trees limbs blowing, etc. There's also the sprinkler function that can run for 30 minutes.
If you are looking to use the Orbit Yard Enforcer as a deterrent for certain animals, it may not run as long as you like as the motion detection only runs for 3-10 seconds at a time. The setup is also not the easiest to manage. There's also the possibility of not setting up the range properly so that it won't reach as far as it claims. The design can be a tad fragile overall too, so it's best to be gentle when setting it up.
- Good sprinkler run time of 30 minutes;
- Wide viewing angle.
- Motion sensing doesn't run long;
- Not user-friendly to install.
9. Vagrant Power LED Color Changing Lawn Sprinkler – Best Décor Sprinkler
There comes a time when you may want something that is both functional and appealing to look at. With the Vagrant Power LED Lawn Sprinkler, you may be getting the best décor sprinkler. It is a creative sprinkler that adults and children alike can enjoy viewing at night.
Perhaps one of the most talked about features with this product is the fact that it can save on energy. It has no power connection; the water itself generates the colorful LED show. Overall, this product is small and lightweight, making it good for children and pets to play around. For further safety, it is also made using environment-friendly material.
The sprinkler is able to water from 16-36ft, and it gives out a gentle spray of water good for areas such as flowerbeds and gardens. It can sometimes be a task figuring out what kind of hose will fit the sprinkler, however. Also, though it has a rotary system, it can sometimes just spray upwards like a fountain and not cover the area well.
- Water-powered LED feature;
- Made using safe materials.
- Doesn't always provide good coverage;
- Can be tough to fit hose.
Finding the Right Lawn Sprinkler
There's no shortage of lawn sprinklers on the market, and with more being made seemingly every day, it can be tough to narrow down which are the best ones. Although your decision in the end will be based more on personal needs, there are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a lawn sprinkler.
Types of Lawn Sprinklers
Not only is there a variant selection of lawn sprinklers in terms of garden size, but you can break down the categories even further once you take into consideration the actual function of the sprinkler. Details about the some of the types of sprinklers and their functionalities are explained below:
- Stationary: These are a common and usually inexpensive type of sprinkler. As the name implies, they are kept in a fixed position, which requires you to move it around to cover various areas. They do come in various sizes and shapes, however, and you can choose the type of spray pattern. A stationary sprinkler can better serve smaller, precise areas or work for gardening purposes;
- Traveling: A traveling sprinkler is needed when you want to cover a wide area. They move along the path of your hose placement and they are powered along via water pressure. This is a type of sprinkler that can help save on time. It helps though to ensure you have the proper amount of water pressure so that it can water everything evenly;
- Oscillating: Available in either aluminum or plastic, these types of sprinklers are made in a long tube shape with individual openings and jets. By distributing water in this fashion, they can provide even coverage in open areas. The spray pattern can easily be adjusted as well to fit the actual area that needs to be watered;
- Impact: These require high water pressure, and they typically move the sprinkler arms in a circular pattern to cover a greater distance. The pattern can be adjusted as well so that you have more control. When you use these types of sprinklers, you generally hear a "clicking" sound as they work. With the amount of pressure they send out, it's best to avoid delicate landscaping such as a flowerbed;
- Rotary: A rotary sprinkler has multiple arms that distribute the water from the various sprinkler heads. Their design allows them to put out water in a circular, continuous stream. You can commonly see these types around gardens or in parks as the stream of water they put out is gentle enough to not harm flowers and such;
- In-Ground: These automatic sprinklers are installed in the ground and pop up based on a designated set time. An in-ground sprinkler does well with general landscaping and around all sides of the house for greater lawn coverage. Beyond being able to control the time in which your lawn is watered, you also have the ability to swap out sprinkler heads;
- Drip System: This type is best suited for long-term use. The small holes in the tubes/hoses create a steady drip of water into the soil directed toward a specific area. Since the soil can better absorb the water, it prevents run-offs. There is no more worrying about overwatering or under-watering your plants.
Things to Keep in Mind
On your search for the right lawn sprinkler, there are a few features to consider. Granted, not every sprinkler has all the features, but some may better suit your needs than others.
- Automatic Shut-Off: This is especially useful in traveling sprinklers as it ensures no water is wasted or the lawn isn't overwatered once the pattern has finished;
- Built-in Timer: As with automatic shut-off, having the ability to time your sprinkler system so that you don't have to always keep an eye on it is a helpful feature;
- Material: You want your sprinkler to actually last some time, so pay attention to the build materials. There are several heavy-duty ones that will stand the test of time, and these are typically made from some type of metal.
Another important factor to keep in mind is your overall budget. There are many good sprinklers on the market that serve as an economical choice and still get the job done. However, if you're looking for something with more bells and whistles, then you'll need to understand how costly it can be in the long run.
What can be counted as the best lawn sprinkler will be based on your specific watering needs. Some people require something with a greater scope, and others will need something on the smaller scale. You also have to consider the pressure; some sprinklers can be too hard for flowerbeds, while others will do just fine.
No matter which you choose, the above list should give you an idea of what is considered to be some of the best lawn sprinklers out today. If you have any questions or comments about what is on or not on this list, please don't hesitate to share them with us.